StrategyGen’s Commitment to Policy and Quality Research
“I believe that one of the things that differentiates StrategyGen is our commitment to research on new health care delivery and financing models and the dissemination of our research in scholarly journals and policy briefs. Our team’s peer-reviewed research provides StrategyGen with the perspective that others don’t see and brings credibility to our work.”
Dr. Rob Haley, PhD, MBA, MHS
StrategyGen Co-Founder, President and CEO
StrategyGen has a strong commitment to policy and research that improves the quality, access, and value of health care. The world of healthcare involves disruptive changes that requires individuals, teams, and organizations to remain responsive and agile. This is why it is important to research industry trends and to be quick to influence policy and adapt.
The StrategyGen team is consistently involved in our healthcare communities, expanding our knowledge with best practices, and conducting research that influences the development of health policy to improve the quality of patient care.
Publications and Insights
- Hamadi, H., Zhao, M, Park, S, Xu, Jing, Haley, D.R., Lox, C, Spaulding, A. (In Press) Improving health and addressing social determinants of health through hospital partnerships. Population Health Management.
- Zhao, M., Hamadi, H. Y., Haley, D. R., Xu, J., Tafili, A., & Spaulding, A. C. (2022). COVID-19 Deaths and the Impact of Health Disparities, Hospital Characteristics, Community, Social Distancing, and Health System Competition. Population Health Management, 25(6), 807-813.
- Hamadi, H.Y., Zhao, M., Haley D.R., Xu, J., Paryani, S., & Spaulding, A., (2022) Observational Trends in Publicly Reported Quality Measures of Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting Program, 2013-2019. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management: July/September 2022 - Volume 45 - Issue 3 - p 202-211. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35612391/
- Shen, L., Wei, X., Yin, J., Haley, D. R., Sun, Q., & Lundborg, C. S. (2022). Interventions to optimize the use of antibiotics in China: a scoping review of evidence from humans, animals, and the environment from a One Health perspective. One Health, 100388. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.onehlt.2022.100388
- Park, S., Hamadi, H. Y., Nguyen, A. T., Tran, V., Haley, D. R., & Zhao, M. (2022). Examining the relationship between hospital-community partnerships and COVID-19 case-fatality rates. Population health management, 25(1), 134-140.
- Marin, L., Mayo, M., Paryani, S., Haley, D.R., Hamadi, H., Zakari, N., Zhao, M., (2022) Supporting the Healthcare Imaging Workforce in Northeast Florida Hospitals During the Covid-19 Pandemic. Radiology Management. 44(1); 29-39.
- Zhao M, Hamadi HY, Haley D.R., Pray K, Heyliger-Fonseca PA, Spaulding A. (2021) Hospital value-based purchasing, market competition, and outpatient imaging J Hosp Manag Health Policy 2021;5:33, https://jhmhp.amegroups.com/article/view/6678/html
- Hamadi, H, Zhao, M., Haley, D.R., Dunn, A., Paryani, S., Spaulding, A. (2021). Medicare and telehealth: The impact of COVID-19 pandemic. J Eval Clin Pract. 2021;1-6. doi:10.1111/jep.13634 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8657362/
Xu, J.; Zakari, N.M.A.; Hamadi, H.Y.; Park, S.; Haley, D.R.; Zhao, M. (2021) The Financial Burden of Opioid-Related Abuse among Surgical and Non-Surgical Patients in Florida: A Longitudinal Study. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2021, 18, 9127. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18179127.
- Hamadi, H, Paryani, S., Zhao, M., Haley, D.R., Spaulding, A. (2021). Imaging Payment Models: Outlook for the Post-Pandemic Era. Radiology Management. 49 (4), 45-47
- Haley, D.R., Hamadi, H, Xu, J. Zhao, M, Nguyen, A., Martinez, D. (2020). Structural and Social Determinants of Opioid Abuse Among. Florida Public Health Review, 17 (5), 35-43. https://digitalcommons.unf.edu/fphr/vol17/iss1/5/
- Zhao, M., Hamadi, H., Xu, J., Haley, D. R., Park, S., & White-Williams, C. (2020). Telehealth and hospital performance: Does it matter? Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1357633X20932440
Zhao, M, Hamadi, H, Haley, D.R. , Xu, J., White-Williams, C. Park, S. (2020). Telehealth: Advances in Alternative Payment Models. Telemedicine and e-Health. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/tmj.2019.0294
Zhao, M., Hamadi, H., Haley, D. R., White-Williams, C., Liu, X., & Spaulding, A. (2019). The Relationship between Health Information Technology Laboratory Tracking Systems and Hospital Financial Performance and Quality. Hospital Topics, 1-8. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00185868.2019.1623735
- Spaulding, A. Zhao, M., Haley, D.R., Xingliang, L, Xu, J. Homier, N. (2018) Resource Dependency Theory and Value Based Purchasing. The Health Care Manager, 37(4):299-310. https://mayoclinic.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/resource-dependency-and-hospital-performance-in-hospital-value-ba
- Hamadi, H,Y., Spaulding, A., Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Zakari, N., Tafili, A. (2017) Does Value-Based Purchasing Affect Hospital Utilization Pattern: A Comparative Study. International Journal of Healthcare Management. Doi: 10.1080 / 20479700.2017.1371388. https://mayoclinic.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/does-value-based-purchasing-affect-us-hospital-utilization-patter
- Haley, D.R., Hamadi, H,Y., Zhao, M., Xu, J., Xi, Y., (2017) Hospital value-based purchasing: the association between patient experience and clinical outcome. The Health Care Manager, 36 (4). Link
- Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Spaulding, A., Hamadi, H, Xu, J., Yeomans, K. (2016). The Influence of Hospital Market Competition on Patient Mortality and Total Performance Score. The Health Care Manager, 35(3):1-11. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27455368
- Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Spaulding, A. (2016) Hospital Value-Based Purchasing and Readmissions: Are Hospitals Ready? Nursing Economics, 34(3):1-7. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Donald-Haley/publication/308198029_Hospital_Value-Based_Purchasing_And_30-Day_Readmissions_Are_Hospitals_Ready/links/5b29e3ea4585150c633fad9d/Hospital-Value-Based-Purchasing-And-30-Day-Readmissions-Are-Hospitals-Ready.pdf
- Zhao, M., Haley, D. R. Fowler, J., Feng, C. J., Sun, Q., Wei, X., (2015). The Efficiency of Public Hospitals in China: The Influence of Geographic Location and Government Ownership Level. AIMS International Journal of Management. 9(3): 231-243. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25137812
- Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Spaulding, A, Hamadi, H. (2015). Hospital Characteristics and their Impact on Value-Based Purchasing. Austin Journal of Public Health and Epidemiology, 2(3): 1-5. http://austinpublishinggroup.com/public-health-epidemiology/fulltext/ajphe-v2-id1026.php
- Zhao, M., Haley, D. R., Spaulding, A., & Balogh, H. A. (2015). Value-Based Purchasing, Efficiency, and Hospital Performance. The Health Care Manager, 34(1), 4-13. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25627849
- Spaulding, A., Hamadi, H, Haley, D. R, Zhao, M, McCall, C., (2015). Perceptions of the Changing Healthcare Environment: A Florida Perspective. Florida Public Health Review, 12, 49-57. Link
- Haley, D. R. (2014). Improving immunization rates of underserved children: a historical study of 10 health departments. IJHPM International Journal of Health Policy & Management, 2, 193-197. http://www.ijhpm.com/article_2843_8f768301e5c0dcc9d9b29d70cb2660ed.pdf
- Spaulding, A. Zhao, M., Haley, D.R. (2014) Value-based purchasing and hospital acquired conditions: Are we seeing improvement? Health Policy. 2014 Dec;118 (3):413-21. doi: 10.1016 / j.healthpol.2014.10.003. Epub 2014 Oct 16. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25459736
- Spaulding, A., Haley, D.R., Zhao, M. (2014) Highly Self-Efficacious or Simply Delusional. International Journal of Health Sciences, 2(1): 1-17. https://mayoclinic.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/resource-dependency-and-hospital-performance-in-hospital-value-ba
- Sun, Q, Zhao, M, Haley, D.R., Wei, X. (2014) Hospital Performance in China—Do Location and Hospital Level Matter? Nursing Economics, 32(3): 148-156. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25137812
- Fafard, M., Haley, D.R. (2014) Natural resource profits and the implications for Peru’s public health system. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 34 (5/6): 302-316. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/IJSSP-07-2013-0069
- Haley, D.R., Beg, S. (2012) The Road to Recovery: Egypt’s Healthcare Reform. International Journal of Health Planning and Management. 27(1): 83-91. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/full/10.1108/IJSSP-07-2013-0069
- Haley, D.R.(2011) Public Policy and Medical Tourism: Ethical Implications for the Egyptian Healthcare System. World Hospital and Health Services. 47(4): 13-15. http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/22619867
- Zhao, M. & Haley, D.R. (2011) “Nursing Home Quality, Staffing, and Malpractice Paid-loss.” Journal of Health Care Finance. 38(1): 1-10. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22043643
- Haley, D.R., Khlaifa, A., Beg, S., Sobh, N. (2010). Globalization and the Ethical Implications for the Egyptian Healthcare System. World Hospital and Health Services. 46(2), 8-11. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21053650
- Nolin, J., Daly, M.A, Haley, D.R., Zhao, M. (2010). Cultivating an international academic relationship: The China experience. The Journal of Health Administration Education. Vol. 27 (2): 99-112. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aupha/jhae/2010/00000027/00000002/art00003
- Zhao, M., Haley, D.R., Oetjen, RM, Carretta H. (2010). “Malpractice Paid Losses and Financial Performance of Nursing Homes” Health Care Management Review, 36 (1):78-85. http://journals.lww.com/hcmrjournal/Abstract/2011/01000/Malpractice_paid_losses_and_financial_performance.11.aspx
- Zhao, M., Haley, D.R, Nolin, J, Dunning, K, Wang, J., Sun, QS. (2009). “Utilization, Cost, Payment, and Patient Satisfaction of Rehabilitative Services in Shandong, China” Health Policy, 93(1):21-6. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168851009001407
- Dunning, K., Zhao, M., and Haley, D.R. (2009) Physical Therapy in China: Entwining Cultural Practices. Rehabilitation Management. http://www.rehabpub.com/2009/10/physical-therapy-in-china-entwining-cultural-practices/
- Zhao, M., Haley, D.R, Nolin, J, Dunning, K, Wang, J., & Sun, QS. (2008). Serving billions: A pilot study on clinician perceived efficacy of rehabilitative services in China. The Health Care Manager Issue 27:(3) 252-258. http://journals.lww.com/healthcaremanagerjournal/Abstract/2008/07000/Serving_Billions__A_Pilot_Study_on.8.aspx
- Haley, D.R., Zhao, M., Nolin, J, Dunning, K, & Sun, QS. (2008). Five myths of the China healthcare system. The Health Care Manager, 27(2), 147-158. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168851009001407
- Haley, D.R., Strawderman, T, (2003) Out-of-State Trusts and the Potential Demise of the Individual Insurance Market. The Journal of Science and Health Policy, 3 (1). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325870219_OUT-OF-STATE_TRUSTS_AND_THE_POTENTIAL_DEMISE_OF_THE_INDIVIDUAL_INSURANCE_MARKET
- Strawderman, T, Haley, DR, (2002) The Top 10 Myths About U.S. Health Care. The Florida Health Care Journal. Agency for Healthcare Administration. Vol. 3 (1). Link
- Haley, D.R., Tang, W, Crisafulli, J., Rellick, J. Chung, A. (1999). Managed Care Reports, Harkey & Associates, North Carolina. 1-10.
- Metsch, J., Haley, D.R., Malefronte, D. (1997). Privatization of a Public Hospital to Improve Quality: The Case of Jersey City Medical Center. Quality Management in Healthcare, 5(2), 19-26. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10166209/
- First Coast’s weak health belies a hardy health system (News Interview) The report suggests that county leaders need to enhance factors that influence people’s lives outside of clinical settings, said D. Rob Haley, StrategyGen’s Executive Vice President
- Medical Tourism Magazine (Article) Marsha Proctor Killen, StrategyGen's President and CEO, identifies Market Segments, Opportunities with Healthcare Reform, Public vs. Private Plans, Non-Covered Benefits, Who’s Paying for It
- Marsha Proctor Killen and Rob Haley: Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs): The What, Why, When, and How, FHA Regional Office Orlando, Florida